Monday 22 November 2010

The Weather ... And the origins of Bespoke

I hear snow is forecast for later this week.  In fact, it was while I was online, checking out the weather forecast that I stumbled upon the definition of the word Bespoke.  Intentional? Or bizarre coincidence I don't know ... but given that I am now mulling over all things bespoke as we prepare for the Pop Up I had to read on. Well, who wouldn't?

Further exploration revealed that the word originated in the fitting rooms of Savile Row.  At least, this is what my dear friend Wikipedia tells me. It seems that when cloth or fabric had been chosen by some dapper young gentleman to be turned into a well fitting suit, made to measure and made specifically for him, said fabric was said to 'be spoken for'. Hence the word bespoke. Lovely.  That all makes sense now.

No comments:

Post a Comment